Since Church Fenton changed hands in December 2014, much has changed (for the better!). A quick summary can be seen below:
- A return of airshows to Church Fenton has been announced – the first “Great Yorkshire Airshow” will be held at Leeds East Airport on 26th September 2015. See www.yorkshireairshow.co.uk for further details.
- 3 Hangar has been substantially refurbished, with all windows replaced, doors sand-blasted an re-painted, along with many other general husbandry jobs.
- 2 Hangar is currently undergoing a transformation; all cladding has been removed and it is believed will be largely be replaced by glass.
- The grounds (including main gate) have been treated to a spruce up and are looking better than they have for many years. The old SHQ building now proudly wears the Leeds East Airport logo on its frontage.
- Plans have been announced for use of one or more hangars as film studios, alongside the existing use of the site for aviation. If accepted, this will be a huge boost for the local area.
- Plans have been submitted for Ginetta cars to use the old MT section as a showroom / workshops, and parts of the runways as demonstration areas. Again, if plans are accepted, this will be another boost for the local area.
- A business aviation service known as “Makin Air” has been launched, which will fly direct to London on weekdays, using a brand-new Hondajet, along with other aircraft.
The future is looking far more positive than it has done for many years, all credit has to go to Chris Makin and his team for having the vision and resources to take a run-down ex-RAF station and bring it in to the 21st century.